Incorporated in April of 1951, Friendship House began as a cooperative effort by the American Baptist Church and the local Council of Churches.
Quonset our first facility
Our Second Location
Our first facility, a Quonset hut donated by Bradley University and dubbed "Operation Friendship House", generated community excitement and served as both missionary residence and recreation center.
The Friendship House Board took a leap of faith in 1857, securing the former Grace Presbyterian Church building at 800 NE Madison Avenue, acquiring ten times the amount of program space. By 1963, Friendship House of Christian Service had grown to serve nearly 150 families and provide over 23,000 contacts.
Today, Friendship House is still located at 800 NE Madison and continues to offer programs to the community and minister to those individuals and families who need it most. Friendship House serves approximately 10,000 individuals per year.
The core partnership of this inner city ministry includes American Baptist, United Methodist Church, Disciples of Christ, the Presbytery of Peoria and the Congregational Christian Conference, providing the ecumenical base of support for the Friendship House programs which continues today.