Latino Outreach Program
The Latino Outreach Program provides ongoing case management and a comprehensive set of services designed to assess Latino individuals and family needs in order to aid them in becoming productive, self-reliant members of the community.
Service Area: Primary - Heart of Illinois United Way Service Area (Peoria County, Tazewell County, Woodford County, Marshall County, Putnum County & Stark County)
- Bilingual Case Management
- Assesment of client need. Staff ensures that appropriate services are provided which include, but is not limited to translation services as well as referrals to internal and external services.
- Translation services: legal, medical, employment, immigration, etc.
- Classroom Instruction
- Citizenship Preparation, ESL and GED classes.
- Bilingual assistance with tax preparation
- Path to Citizenship Series
- Informational seminars on topics such as immigration, citizenship, housing, community police relations, and gang/violence prevention.
- Cultural Enhancement
- Latino Health Fair, Por Amor Group, Cinco de Mayo Celebration, etc.
- Community Presentations
- Presented by Agencies & community members to educate the community about various areas such as medical, banking, legal, school system and immigration, etc.
- Scouting Program
- Cub & Boy Scout memberships for Latino youth
- Partnership with Boy Scouts of America
- The 2010 US Census shows that the City of Peoria’s Latino population has doubled – increasing from 2,839 in 2000 to 5,628 in 2010.
- Last year almost 1,000 Latino individuals received services through our Latino Outreach Program.
- Friendship House has the first Hispanic Cub Scout and Boy Scout Troop in the area.
- The Por Amor (“For Love”) Knitting Group has made over 1,000 blankets that have been donated to hospitals and/or individuals for sick children and seniors.
- Since 2010, 10 individuals have obtained Citizenship through the Pathway to Citizenship Program.
- The Matthew 25 Jewelry Cooperation has sold more than 300 Matthew 25 bracelets. Members of the cooperation include 7 members from the Por Amor Group.
, Director of Latino Program
Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service
800 NE Madison ∙ Peoria, IL 61603
This Program is funded by:
|The Powerwalk for Dress for Success Peoria - Jun 29th, 2013
POWERFUL. OPTIMISTIC. WORTHY. EXTRAORDINARY. RESILIENT. The women of Dress for Success Peoria may have come through some obstacles in life, but on June 29th 2013, they’re Going Places. Going Strong. The Power Walk for Dress for Success, is the world’s only international 5K that promotes an active lifestyle and healthy living. Supporting the health & wellness initiatives of the Dress for Success Professional Women’s Group, POWER-women from all over the world come together for this fun, festive, and family...-oriented fitness event.
To register online visit: www.dfspowerwalk.org/peoria2013
WHO: Dress for Success Peoria WHAT: The Power Walk for Dress for Success (5K/3.1 miles) OR 5K Run WHERE: The Shoppes at Grand Prairie
WHEN: Saturday, June 29, 2013 Registration 7:00 a.m. / 5K Run Starts 8:00 a.m. / 5K Walk Starts 8:15 a.m.
COST: INDIVIDUAL WALKER (Age 13 and up) - $20 (Children 12 and under may walk with their parents for free but will not receive a t-shirt.) INDIVIDUAL RUNNER- $20 Note- all individual runners (adults and children) must register because the race will be timed- courtesy of RC Race Management T-shirts are available on a first registered basis- limited sizes available.
Questions? Contact Sarah Fletcher, Dress for Success Peoria Director Phone: 309-671-5200 / Email: email@example.com
|Making a Difference Annual Awards Dinner - Jun 29th, 2013
Event: "Making a Difference in Our Community"--Making a Difference Annual Awards Dinner
Date: Saturday, June 29, 2013
Time: 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm (doors open at 5:30pm)
Location: Peoria Civic Center
Ticket Price: $100
Ticket Price Includes: Dinner, Free Parking, 1 Complimentary Drink Ticket
For ticket information please call 309-671-5200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose: A celebration of making a difference in our community. Friendship House is committed to "Making a Difference" – one person at a time.